#37 Wentworth-Barrett House 117 S. Church Street (1752)
This beautiful brick home was one of the first homes built in the newly established town of Smithfield. It was constructed in 1752 for Capt. Samuel Wentworth, a wealthy merchant. He resided here with his wife, Mary, and their five daughters until his death in 1767. The home remained in the Wentworth family until 1802, when it was purchased by Mallory Todd, who cured and shipped Smithfield hams. The Wentworth home was conveyed to Mallory Todd's son and in 1851 he sold it to Robert F. Barrett for $1800. The home would remain on the Barrett family for the next century.
By 1954, the Wentworth-Barrett was unoccupied and in need of restoration. Robert F. Barrett's grandson, Frederick Barrett II, restored the family home and introduced the modern conveniences of running water and electricity to a home that had never experienced them.