#47 P.D. Gwaltney, Jr. House 304 S. Church Street (1901)
This house is the epitome of the Queen Anne style of Victorian architecture. The house, completed in 1901, took two years to build with its turrets, towers, gables, stained-glass windows, bay windows, tiled roof, porte-cochere, and cabinet mantles (inlaid in mother of pearl). In 1926, P. D. Gwaltney, Jr., along with A.S. Johnson, worked hard to get the Smithfield Ham recognized. On page 1001 of the Acts of the General Assembly, Section 23, is the first law dealing with the famous Smithfield hams. Strict rules were made about labeling hams, shoulders, sides and jowls. The penalty of violation of this act was set at not less than $25 or more than $300. The house remains in the P.D. Gwaltney Family.